Thursday, September 8, 2011

Friends For Life

( The Kite Runner, Friday Night Lights )

It was just another day, waiting for school to start . Its going be a long and hot summer down in
Odessa, Texas. Everybody is gone and everyone is busy. The town seems like it is about to change, for the better or for the worse, I don't know. This is a new thing for this town. The whites and the blacks to be together. The thing is I am not the only one. I am one of many. This town is not a colored town. Its one that the white people rule, the school, the teams, and everything else. I am new here and so far i don't like it at all. They all treat me like I am dirt and a useless person. The thing is, that is not me! You have to get to know who I am. The person that knows me the best is one of my friends Hassan. I am Boobie Miles.
             "Hey whats up, don't you remember me...... Boobie....... Miles?"
             "Course I know who you are, I'm just playing around with you" Hassan replied.
             "I know! just was checking, I haven't seen you for a couple of weeks, where have you been."
             "I have been working my tail off. I've just been so busy and Babas and Amir,  they are just keep bust and i just don't have much time for myself to see you and the boys." He said is a sad voice.
             " I understand, work is a pain but guess what, you know whats coming up in the next couple of weeks? Come on everyone knows what is coming, the best part of the year." Boobie said excitedly.

But by the time he turned around he was gone. Not knowing what to do I just starting walking down the street not knowing where to go but I didn't care what I was doing. I just wanted to look around and see what this town was all about. So i started my journey but when I was looking around in the shops the people in them where staring at me with this face that was indescribable, it looked like a ghost walk through them. So I ended my walk that was turned into a sprint right after they saw me. But I needed to get home before something bad could of happened and school was Tomorrow.

Its the next day and it is also the first day of school. So i meet up with Hassan before we get on the bus and head to school.
             " You ready for this?" said is a nervous voice
             " What do you mean, what do you know that i don't?" Boobie said scratching his head.
             " Do you know that we are now going to an all white school now, sense they shut down ours."
             " Oh shoot, I forgot about that. That is going to suck!!"
             " I know, but you got to remember I got your back no matter what. What ever you need, any time I got you. We need to watch out for each other. That is what friends are for." said Hassan enthusiastic but also in a nervous tone of voice. 


So we both get to school and when we step off the bus, and all hell breaks loose. There are crowds around us on each side of us with signs, screaming at me.
             " We don't need you here, leave or face the consequences, Negro's are not wanted!!!" people are just screaming in our face. We only understanding some things but not caring what they say because no matter what happens Hassan has my back. 


After that the day was kind of just another day except of people screaming in my ear. I see Hassan in the hallways but only get to talk to him just a little bit until lunch. But what he tells me at lunch is surprising. But the thing is he only said 


              " There was a reason why I was out for a couple of weeks, it was not because i was working but something happened and I am afraid of telling you in front of people, meet me at the football field at 3 and I will tell you. You must not say anything about this. You are my friend and I trust you and you must not say anything." Hassan said shaking like an earthquake and his arm gripping my shoulder. 


So I meet him after school and to my amazement he was there and was starring at me. Our eyes locked and he sat me down at the 50 yard line and he said these words to me that I will never get out of my my head. " I was raped"..........

1 comment:

  1. i was very shocked with this ending and it took me by total surprise. it left he puzzled and i wish i could read the rest to understand it better. i also like how Matt didn't use the main character from The Kite Runner. this was different from others that ive read and i think it was creative.

    "Its going be a long and hot summer down in
    Odessa, Texas. Everybody is gone and everyone is busy." i thought right away about an old western town that was empty with tumble weeds blowing by. it was like an old western movie but now in stead of the saloon and old western houses it was modern houses on streets build around each other.

    the characters dialogue was believable and seeing as i read The Kite Runner i could really see Hassan having Boobie's back. Matt made Hassan interact a lot like how Amir and Hassan interact and i thought that was good. i wish there was more dialogue too really understand their friend ship and that it was spaced out a little better.

    i thought that some of the description could have been better and that there was more of in so i could really understand how there first day of school went. also i thought the dialogue could have been spaced out better and more of it too really big out there characters.

    ReplyDelete