Thursday, December 8, 2011

Oedipus and Antigone Test



Question #1

In real life a human being has to make a choice of fate or free will. I believe you can only have one of them control your life. I believe in fate more than free will. When you believe in fate that means that your life is already planned and you are just living it out. There is no free will in this world because that means there would be no rules and everything would go crazy. I think if you are trying to change your plans it will prove that it is futile and a waist of you time. Life is just something that you have to live out and experience it.

If I believed in free will and not fate for an instint, when we are talking about fate controlling of how you were born. I don’t believe in that fate controlled that I was born I boy. It is called genetics, science and luck. When we are talking about where my parents first met it was because of there friends. They first met at Burger King and it was more of free will and was planned out between the friends. I can say that free will is where they had the choice to have me and where i took my first breathe. This was up to them and not fate.

This whole thing about fate vs. free will is all up to the person or the human being. This all depends on what you believe in and how you make choices, that are free will or have something unavoidably befalls on you. I believe in both just I don’t believe that fate and free will can control your life.



Question #2

When it comes to lying about something it all depends on what you want other people to believe. I don’t really thing it is “OK” to lie but I would rather hear the truth and not something that is made up, just to make the story seem better than it actually is. Yes there are some instance when we do not - or even should not- want to know or tell the truth because sometimes the truth can hurt. Knowing that the truth is something that can make you mad, i would rather not hear the truth so lying about that would be fine. Also knowing what the problem was would still be in question.

Last month it was a great time in my best friends life. He got himself a girlfriend. It was the first time in months. He was so excited with this. She was a worker at McCray's farm as an creamery girl. He was a town worker he was part of the DPW. They had a relationship that was only as good as someone wanted to make it. When it was near the end of the relationship she was starting to lie to him of what she was doing and who she was hanging out with. She was lying to him because she didn’t want to hurt him because she was starting to see other people. She was doing this for his best interest and not hers. A time when I got lied to  was because I would of rather heard the truth but actually I wanted to hear the truth was only a couple of months ago and I was with a hanging out with a girl, she said something to me that I knew was not the truth, it hurt me that she had to lie to me to make it seem like a better situation but actually it made me feel bad. What I was doing if someone that I can tell someone anything would lie to me over something stupid.

What I can say about lying and telling the truth is that they both can hurt you as a person, lying is not good and if you do it all the time you can come a pathological lier and that is not good. There are times when you have to lie to help the situation or to get yourself out of trouble. But telling the truth can hurt just as much as telling someone a lie.  I also do not think to truth can set you free.

Question #3

Sigmund Freud’s Oedipus Complex is basically when you are a little boy you have the desire to sleep with your mother and you want to kill your father. Throughout the life stages from being born to 13 years of age you get rid of the desire and learn how to control your sexual needs, and how to complete your life goals. This works with Oedipus when he killed his father and then me married his mother and had kids.

I do not think there is some truth to Freud's complex. I just don’t believe that all males have that feeling that they want to sleep with there mother and kill there father. I just don’t believe it can happen. But I do believe in the sexual development stages it makes perfect sense everyone has to go through those stages, but the ages may vary. The main part is that everything that is included in these stages are true.

One point that I can argue with the Oedipus complex is that wen we are all little boys we are all attached to our mothers and we hate when we leave them. So in my point that can support it with being attached to our mother. Maybe you want the father wanting to get out of the picture so we would have to kill him. But who knows we can’t remember it anyways. One point that I can argue against it is that we are all just kids. Who remembers when they were little and how do we know what killing is and what sleeping with our mother is. We are only little kids and there is no way possible that we could think of this.





Question #4
In the story of Antigone, Antigone breaks the law to do something right for her brother. She is unwilling to allow her brother to be dishonored. Where I think she gets the courage that makes her go against the law and risk death is that she wants to do the right thing. She had the choice to do nothing or do risk it all, and that is what she did. She wanted to save her brother at all costs and that is what a good sister is for.

With the rules and laws today I think you have the choice of what to break and what to bend. The thing is that the laws you bend or break are something that is not life threatening. I chose a law that i can break but not get in any trouble or I get caught. I do something that is small and that I can Wiesel are way out. What i break is staying out past my driving curfew. Bend is driving over the speed limit, and what I follow is never drinking and driving.

What an unfair law is something that only goes to a certain people. You can also work around this law and manipulate this. A fair law is something that works for everyone and anyone who gets caught gets the same punishment and there is no way to work around it. It just happens and works like that.









No comments:

Post a Comment